Have you scheduled your next teeth cleaning at the Brownsville, TX, offices of your dentists, Drs. Claudia Rodriguez and J. Patrick Pirtle yet? Visiting Lower Valley Dental Associates twice a year for a checkup and cleaning is a simple, effective way to maintain good oral health.
Teeth cleanings help you avoid cavities and gum disease
Preventing cavities starts with removing plaque from your teeth. The colorless film coats your teeth throughout the day, leaving them feeling rough or sticky. When you take a bite of a cookie, the bacteria in plaque combines with the sugar in the treat, creating acids. The acids are strong enough to destroy your tooth enamel and cause a cavity.
Brushing and flossing your teeth eliminates plaque, but it's not always easy to reach all the nooks and crannies in your mouth. Fortunately, the hygienists at the Brownsville dental office have special tools that allow them to clean plaque from hard-to-reach places. Regular cleanings help you lower your tooth decay risk and make your teeth feel incredibly clean.
Did you know that plaque turns into a hard deposit called tartar in a short period of time? Tartar irritates your gums, and along with plaque, can cause gum disease. Unfortunately, tartar is so hard that it can only be removed during dental cleanings. If you don't visit the dentist every six months, tartar may continue to build upon your teeth.
What you can do to keep your teeth healthy between cleanings
Teeth cleanings and good oral hygiene will help you avoid cavities and gum disease. In between dental visits, maintain your oral health by following these steps:
- Brush twice a day for at least two minutes each time.
- Floss every day to remove plaque between teeth.
- Make sure your toothpaste contains fluoride, a mineral that rebuilds tooth enamel after acid attacks.
- Use an anti-bacterial mouthwash to kill bacteria in your mouth.
- Replace candy, cookies, and treats high in sugar or carbohydrates with healthier fruits and vegetables.
- Contact your dentist if you experience tooth pain, red or puffy gums, or other dental issues.
Protect your smile with a teeth cleaning! Call your dentists in Brownsville, TX, Drs. Rodriguez and Pirtle of Lower Valley Dental Associates, at (956) 350-0059 to make your appointment.